Saturday, July 2, 2011

Tremors (The Beginnings (or the endings))

I feel or sense the tremor of the ground under my feet
I have a premonition that in due time it will give way
And I will inexorably plunge once more through the thick disturbing air of human emotions
That area where millions constantly plummet
I wonder if I'll relax on the way down
Or if I’ll flail about
Reaching out
Madly grasping for the illusion that I can stop the fall or slow it down
Cushion the inevitable impact down below
But all I'll get will be hand burns
The more I hold on the more painful they'll be
This time I should just fall free
And brace myself for what’s to come



The idea was to get one of the many abandoned buildings around the city and rebuild it using earthship methods, and turn it into a sort of alternative cultural center.
The project was supposed to start from scratch, asking the city to just give one of the buildings schedule for demolition. Once the building was obtained, then I and whoever cared to join, would go around collecting used tires of which there are many, lying around abandoned building and other places.
All this would make more sense within the context of Da Book and Da Other Book.
The majority of us have been conditioned to be passive and wait for experts to do everything. I wanted to find out if it was possible to do this project defying this conditioning.
I was going to do it alone, but decided very soon that it would be easier if more hands got involved.
This undertaking follows the idea of world citizenship, and it deals with the problem of independence from the excessive control.
It was to be done without any hoopla, and with as little financing from conventional sources as possible, a truly grassroots thing, an international grassroots undertaking.
Of course it was going to be up to the city of Detroit. It would make little sense to start something like this in a place that would be hostile towards it.
But things have changed. My girlfriend is pregnant and I have to go back to Berlin. I’ll ride around the city looking at places that would’ve been chosen until I leave next month.
At one point I will go to wherever office in the local government deals with the demolishing of abandoned buildings and ask for one just to gauge their reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment