Tuesday, July 5, 2011

On a thousand dollar budget for one month

I brought with me what I own, a backpack full of clothes, some books and notebooks. I've been working on reducing my possessions and after this trip I will have less stuff to carry around. It’s cheaper to go to NY and then take the bus to Detroit. I did that because of my small budget. The trip on the bus is annoying. I switched three times; one bus didn’t have air conditioning. The trip took fourteen hours. It started at 4 in the afternoon and arrived at 7 in the morning.
After that I looked for a place to stay, and found the Corktown hotel. $60 a night was too much for me, but I was tired of carrying my backpack. The next day I took the 510 bus to Warren which is the city next to Detroit. Warren is a city in name; really it’s more like a small town like any other small town in America. I found a small room in a motel for $32. It wasn’t too comfortable but the price was good while I looked for a room where I could stay for what I thought would be a two months stint. I stayed there for three nights. It didn’t have internet, which didn’t matter because I didn’t have a laptop yet. I went to the library everyday which set me back $4. The bus fare was $2.
I found a room for $275 a month on the west side of town in a house a woman is trying to fix up. It is empty so I sleep on the floor, which I don’t mind; it seems to be good for my back. I have access to a kitchen, a big plus. It’s cheaper to cook your own food than to eat outside all the time.
I bought a laptop for $165, a small netbook, an HP, which works really good. Then I bought a bicycle for $20, an old Schwinn racing bike and with it I go everywhere to save money on bus fare. It’s good for exercising especially here where things are spread out. You could do ten miles easy everyday here. The sun is a bitch though, it’s summer. I’m surprised it isn’t hotter though. The average has been in the upper eighties.
For internet service I go to the public libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment